Kids will say, do, and behave the way you do!
They will love, nurture, appreciate, compliment, grow, learn, and light up the way you do.
They will also hate, avoid, ignore, insult, and self deprecate the way you do as well.
Negative emotions aren’t bad unless you don’t know how to handle them!
Currently, more than 1 in 5 children have a “mental illness.” This is NOT because all of the sudden kids just started being born mentally ill.
It’s directly because kids today do not learn emotional intelligence which leaves them susceptible to influences that will negatively impact their development.
It’s up to us as parents, teachers, mentors, and caring adults to be the example we want our kids to become!
Here are a few suggestions to up your parenting game:
- Greet your kids when they arrive home from school
- Provide nutrient dense food and snacks
- Give kids a bed time and abide by it
- Don’t allow screens at the dinner table
- Have dinner together at the table
- Sit and talk with your kids without phones, computers, and social media
- Know your kids friends
- Say NO to your kids now and then
- Do not do their homework or projects
- Let them discuss challenges with their teachers without your help
- Give them chores and enforce that they do them
- Read together, take a class together, exercise together, do something TOGETHER
- Praise efforts not results
- Ask and LISTEN
- Empower don’t enable
I’ve always tried to raise my kids based on this quote:
Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life’s longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
Have an exceptional week!
With love, gratitude, and inspiration,
Heather Paris inspires people all over the world to create happier lives through talks, workshops, blog posts, and her book, Live Inspired Now; A Field Guide For Happiness. For more information about transforming your relationship, family, or your life, contact Heather today!